I had the honour to attend a buka puasa (breaking fast) dinner hosted by the Prime Minister at his official residence last Monday. It was an event organised for the members of the media and the organiser, a friend at the Prime Minister's Office, invited my colleagues and I along.
During the dinner, I had the greater honour of having the First Lady sit next to me. Actually, she chose to sit next to me! =) You see, I was sitting at the same table as some of the officers from the Prime Minister's Office (whom the First Lady was more familiar with) and since there was an empty seat next to me, she decided to take it. Man, I was so nervous, I could feel blood rushing to my face - I was blushing, which I don't normally do. And before I could recover from the shock, the cameramen, on discovering Datin Seri Jeanne at our table, rushed over and started clicking away. For the first time in my life, I knew what it feels like to be in the limelight, to be swamped with flash lights like a Hollywood star. =P
I felt so awkward and didn't know what to do. What do you say to do the First Lady? What if she's bossy? Do I have to watch what I say? What are the protocols? Can I leave her to go to the buffet line ?
But thankfully, she's a very nice lady, a graceful hostess, with no air at all. She started the conversation and engaged everyone at the table. She spoke with much openness and put everyone at ease (or at least me). As the night progressed, I began to losen up and was able to converse with her much naturally. It was indeed a memorable night! Now this is one story I can share with my grandchildren one day and I have to pictures to prove it! =)
PS: the First Lady looks much fairer and beautiful in person. Photos don't do justice to her.
From the left: Datin Seri Jeanne, me, my colleague and my boss, Nora ( don't know what she's doing)
1 comment:
It's definitely an experience worth bragging about at dinner parties! Lucky you!
Post a Comment