Friday, August 29, 2008

My moo-moo supply

Following my friend, Steven's advice, I've decided to post up photos of my milk supply. Not quite as impressive as Valin's (Steven's wife; Steve, pls wipe that smirk off your face) but it's still something. I'm not as dedicated as Valin and only express about a total of 25oz a day. I also don't keep record of how much I express each day; all I know is it's enough to feed Chris.


The milk is stored in milk bottles, and each bottle stores up to 5-6oz or 9oz.


This drawer in the freezer is specially dedicated for z milk (Bad photo, need better lighting)


I follow a system that's loosely based on FIFO but I also interlace the old milk, with some freshly squeezed ones. =) I consciously give Chris the new milk particularly when I'm sick so that he can benefit from the antibodies that my body produces.


AFter all the hard work, sad to say I think I'll be quitting breastfeeding soon. But I shall perservere to feed Chris exclusively on breast milk for at least 4 months. Sigh... just not as motivated this time around.


4 comments:

3Fireflies said...

Four months is also a great achievement! Good job mummy!

Steven Lok said...

Nice work! :) Though you did caught a sliver of a smirk off me.

25oz (740mls) a day as a working mom, is a pretty good volume. Not sure if Val can manage that when she starts work.

Wow, you sure have a lot of milk bottles! Is that the freezer or 'fresh' room?

Good idea with the zipper bags and they look a lot more hygienic with a dedicated drawer. We had to mix with other frozen food (although they are on a separate level)

Val was sick (she caught it from me, I caught it from Scott) for a couple of days recently; we threw those milk away. It did occur to me about the antibody, but since she's on medication and had an injection doc said better not.

Bliss said...

thanks for the encouragement guys. I will try to endure for another month or so...can't just stop immediately.

Steven: that's a freezer. We have the panasonic fridge where the freezer is at the bottom that's y I have drawer in the freezer.

wah, what a waste of good milk. I'm sure it breaks Val's heart when she poured it away. I continued to feed Chris when I was on medication bcos doc told me it's safe. I don't know.

melliebaby said...

With supply like that, if I were you, I wouldn't stop just yet. You're so blessed! If I could express 9oz a day (and that is after 4 times), that's already an achievement.

Depends on what medication you took but I think it's a good idea that you still fed Christopher those & interlaced with the older ones.