Thursday, November 15, 2007

Hokkien kia (Hokkien child)

Dennis can't really say many words. But oddly, the few words that he often uses all sound like Hokkien (a Chinese dialect). I say it's odd because he's constantly bombarded by Cantonese and English, and I must confess I hardly ever speak to him in Hokkien. Yet his first words are Hokkien words. For example, when something ends/finishes he will say "bo, bo" which is "no more" in Hokkien. Or if he doesn't want something, he will shake his head profusely and say "mai mai" which is "don't want" in Hokkien. (He often does that when he disagress with a TV channel that you're watching and wants you to switch to one that he favours. Demanding little boy, ain't he?)

Well, the saving grace is his other favourite word is "ye ye" which is grandpa in cantonese. Everytime he sees his grandpa, he will call out "yeye". Smart boy, because that wins him a lot of brownie points, which he usually uses to redeem for extended cartoon hours.

To my dismay, he's still not calling me "mummy" yet. Before, he used to call me "mama", but I haven't heard that for a while either. Well, well, I guess I'll just have to wait.

No comments: