Last Saturday was an eventful day. Dennis had a bad fall and sustained a deep cut on the forehead that had to be stitched up.
For once, it was not his mischief that got him into trouble. He was actually sitting at the edge of the couch when he fell but the unfortunate part was his wooden shape sorter toy was on the floor. So when he fell, his forehead hit the corner of the wooden toy and it cut deep into his forehead. Initially I thought it was just another fall but when we saw blood gushing out, we panicked. Even, his first aider daddy didn't know what to do. In the midst of the chaos, I told myself to calm down and act fast. As soon as I regained my composure, I got Keat to get me a face towel so that I put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. But as soon as the bleeding stopped we saw how deep the cut was - about 3mm- and we knew we had to send him to the clinic immediately. To add drama to the whole situation, it was pouring cats and dogs outside.
But we were lucky because despite the rain, miraculously we found a parking spot just outside the clinic (this is in Desa Sri Hartamas,where it's impossible to find parking spots!) and we were the only patient when we arrived. The doc that attended to Dennis was very good but he told me to get out of the room because he didn't want an emotional mum to interfere with his work or pass out during the procedure. So, I left the room, with Dennis crying and pleading to me not to leave him behind. Outside at the waiting room, as the wind howled and the rain poured angrily, I cried silently as I prayed for his suffering to end soon. He could hear him continuing to cry and scream and I didn't know how long it lasted but it felt like eternity.
As soon as it was done, I went back to the room and Dennis immediately clung on to me. All the struggling and crying tired him out and soon, he fell asleep on my shoulder. But I didn't mind it... after what he had to go through, all I wanted was to hold him close to me and protect him from more harm. My poor baby, he's gone through too much....and he shouldn't have to. He had 8 stitches! But it was not becuase the cut was very big. The doc stitched very closely so that the wound will not leave a scar and can heal faster.
The irony of it all was Dennis fell when he was sitting sandwiched between Keat and I. Whatever it is, this episode has taught us a painful lesson and we vow to be more careful next time!
PS: Dennis is recovering well and he's due to remove his stitches tomorrow!
2 comments:
Gosh...it's every parent's nightmare! Thank god he's alright!
Tell me about it. Keat and I felt like such horrible parents.
Post a Comment